Monday, March 30, 2009

The Brapocalypse Continues...

I've sent in an inquiry to the Alberta Employment Standards (board?), so hopefully they'll be able to offer me some advice. I'm also in the process of filing a complaint with head office, although I'm worried it will go to Christy, who appears to be the mastermind behind the whole situation. I also sent in some resumes to a few places over the weekend so hopefully I'll hear back from at least one person soon. I can't stand La Senza.

Interesting note, during my insane search of the internet on Friday to find a proper way to file a formal complaint with head office, I located this little jem: http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2003-05-08/news_feature.php

The basic gist of it is that Gina Form is one of the few labour factories on that side of the world (Bangkok to be exact) that had a union, decent wages, and offered basic human rights to their employees. Well around 2003 new management took over and fired 40 union members and began to harass employees to sign new employment contracts that denied them these rights and other bullshit.

So what does La Senza do? Cuts ties with Gina Form.

No, you employ these people, you arguably have some amount of power in this situation. It is up to you, as a giant, evil, North American corporation to use this power for good ( I wish ). I don't know who makes the bras now, or where we get them. I also don't know what happened to Gina Form. All I do know is that factories that are supplying their employees with basic human rights, instead of, say, forcing them to work 12 hour days till their fingers bleed, need to be protected and supported. La Senza could have gotten involved, foreign conflict or not, and put a stop to this sort of management abuse.

Then again, we all know what La Senza thinks about management...

0 comments: